Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Gender Reveal Party... sort of

It has recently been brought to my attention that people are having Gender Reveal Parties... I SO wish I heard of this when I was pregnant.  For those of you who don't know... it's when you have a party to reveal the sex of the baby.

When the happy couple goes for the 18-20 week ultrasound, they ask the tech to write down the gender in a sealed envelope.  The couple then takes that envelope to the bakery and asked them to make a pink or blue cake - iced in white/green/yellow - so generic color.  Then you have small gathering, and when the couple cuts the cake, everyone find out what the sex of the baby is!

It just so happens, that I stumbled across this idea while my cousin Jamie is pregnant and very close to her 18 week ultra sound date.  I couldn't talk her into having a real gender reveal party - but she did let ME make her a pink or blue cake and have a mini-reveal with our co-workers (convenient that we work together).

Now this cake didn't exactly turn out the way that I pictured it in my head, but it was my first time using fondant.  I first tried to cover the whole cake for that smooth cake look, but that didn't turn out good at all.  So I did make a lot of the butter cream icing and just covered the whole thing generously with that, and made cute little cut out shapes with the fondant to decorate.






And the BIG REVEAL:



IT'S A GIRL!!!




Well I am super happy for Jamie & Mike (any Sammy too).  I was secretly hoping that I got to make a girl cake :)

No comments:

Post a Comment